Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Diversity

Diversity, a popular buzz word in today’s society, usually refers to differences in race, culture, ethnicity, and religion. Of the many adjectives one might use to describe Ginger, diverse is not a top contender. Although I have traveled many places, I have lived in Southern Illinois all my life. My home town is a small community about 30 miles south of St. Louis, Missouri. It is typical of many Midwestern small towns with little or no racial, cultural, or ethnic diversity. The one example of religious diversity I remember occurred when the Pentecostals came to town and held services in a storefront building. My friends and I, curious elementary school students, could only imagine what the “holy rollers” were doing behind the curtained windows!

What inspired my thoughts on the topic of diversity is an article I read recently regarding the alleged violation of prisoners’ rights at the Marion (IL) and Terre Haute (IN) federal prisons. My first thought was, “What rights?” The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU),
an attorney group representing the prisoners, allege the prison Communications Management Units (CMUs) place draconian restrictions on inmates’ contact with the outside world and even their own families without offering any reason.

The main reason for the intensity of this issue is that 60-70% of the affected inmates are Muslims. Apparently, the ACLU doesn’t care that many of these inmates are probably terrorists themselves or have connections to terrorists. ACLU attorneys are well-known to deal with bizarre cases that supposedly infringe on the freedom of others, e.g., nativity scenes on the courthouse lawn at Christmas. I personally think most ACLU attorneys are those who graduated in the lower half of their law school classes and can’t find a job with a real law firm. I do not number any Muslims among my friends or acquaintances although I once met an Imam (Muslim religious leader) at the DuQuoin State Fair. I guess if I were truly a diverse person, I would champion the cause of these Muslim inmates. Instead, I think they should be thankful no one is burning splinters under their fingernails!

In regard to diversity, I have a “long way to go and a short time to get there.” The only support I will give these Muslim prisoners is to pay my mandated federal taxes which provide their meals and housing. Take it or leave it!

No comments:

Post a Comment