Saturday, March 6, 2010

Nom de Plume

In Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, Juliet says to Romeo:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

In the course of a conversation several years ago, I mentioned I had always liked the name Ginger. That is when I became Ginger, and I eventually decided to use that name for my blog. Now, I need a surname. I have been researching the genealogy records of the Catholic churches in the Belleville Diocese, particularly those in the communities of Kaskaskia, Prairie du Rocher, Ruma, and Red Bud where my family originated. My maternal grandmother’s ancestors settled in the French towns of Kaskaskia and Prairie du Rocher. In reviewing these church records (written in French), I
found the perfect surname for Ginger and Henri → Devereaux. There are a lot of French names in my family, but this is not a name of any of my relatives. It is simply a name I like. The name Devereaux connotes Southern royalty. Henceforth, Henri and I shall be known as Monsieur Henri and Madame Ginger Devereaux. Royalty is timeless!

2 comments:

  1. So what were some of your family names from that area??? (Are we cousins?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have any relatives named "Bluecat." The predominant French names in my ancestry are DeRousse and Melliere.

    ReplyDelete