Wednesday, March 10, 2010

To be or “knot” to be….

In William Shakespeare’s play, Hamlet, a famous soliloquy spoken by Hamlet begins, To be, or not to be, that is the question…. That question is answered today as I spend some leisure time “knotting.” I enjoy following the SIU basketball Dawgs, and Kristi gave me an appropriate gift for my birthday. She purchased two pieces of fleece, one printed with the SIU logo and the other in solid black, and cut the edges in fringe strips. She didn’t have time to tie the fringe, and I will do that to complete the blanket. I’m not sure when she found time to do as much as she did while caring for two little boys. I started working on the blanket project Sunday afternoon. My first task was to “de-Gunnerize” it. Gunner is a beautiful BIG German Shepherd who lives with Kristi and her family. His contribution was dog hair, apparently to function as a warming insulation for the blanket. I matched the fleece pieces and then used plastic clothes pins to hold the front and back together. Today, I’m starting to knot. I have never worked with fleece before, but it is a miracle fabric. It launders beautifully, and the edges don’t ravel. It’s also very soft and quite warm. I’m anxious to see the finished product which will be a throw to adorn one of the chairs in our family room. Henri will not be allowed to use it because of his deriding comments about the Dawgs this season. Thanks Kristi, Cole, Kale, Kace, and Gunner!

1 comment:

  1. Wait a second, I did knot it but the washer and dryer unknotted it for me while I tried to de-gunnerize it!

    ReplyDelete