Tuesday, February 9, 2010

It’s All Relative!

Relatives and friends all know I am deeply engrossed in genealogy. Since my retirement, I have researched family ancestries for my own interest and for my sons’ understanding of past generations of my and their father’s families. Terminology used to describe family relationships is fascinating and confusing. I always thought I was a “great-aunt” to a child of my nieces or nephews. Actually, I am a “grand-aunt” to the child. Following that same pattern, I am a “grandmother” to a child of my children. In the generation following, I, respectively, will be the “great-grand-aunt” or the “great-grandmother.” Many internet sites have charts to explain these relationships. The charts even include clarification of cousins “once (twice, three times, four times, five times, six times, seven times) removed.” I never did understand that concept and still don’t comprehend it completely.
After I pondered the “great-,” “grand-,” and “…removed” appellations, I thought of another relationship situation in my immediate family. Henri and I will be married twenty years in July. Each of us has been married before, and each of us has children from our first marriages. I have two sons, and Henri has two sons and two daughters. My sons are Henri’s step-sons. Henri’s sons and daughters are my step-sons and step-daughters. Does that mean Henri is my step-husband and I am his step-wife??? A note to my more mature readers: Do not confuse me with The Stepford Wives!

No comments:

Post a Comment