Thursday, February 18, 2010

A New Frontier

We are probably familiar with the saying, “Idle hands are the devil’s workshop.” If that is true, the devil will have to start working somewhere else because I am a busy person. My goals after I retired from a full-time job in May 2006 were to sleep late and get a dog. I’ve changed my mind on the dog issue, but I do enjoy staying up late at night and sleeping late in the morning. I started working at a part-time office job a couple weeks after I retired. I also traveled at least once each week (160 miles round trip) to help my mother until she passed away on September 29, 2009. Now, I am training a replacement for my office position in order to pursue other activities.
For over a year, I have been on the board of the Egyptian Area Agency on Aging, but that doesn’t take much time because we only have meetings once a month. (This is not a pretentious position. We usually discuss and then rubber stamp suggestions of the executive director and staff.) I have been interested in the hospice program for a number of years, and I decided this is the time to get involved. I registered to attend the March 12 and 13 training program preparatory to becoming a volunteer with Hospice of Southern Illinois. When the training is over, I should know if this is something I can successfully achieve. Volunteers work one day a week, and there are many different service opportunities ranging from sitting with patients to office duties. I have always enjoyed working, and I still need some of that community exposure in retirement. Don’t worry, Prince Henri. I know a man’s home is his castle, and Cinderella will still have time to help you keep our castle in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment