Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Still Alice

I just finished reading an excellent book, Still Alice, by Lisa Genova. It is fiction but based on factual events and research. The book describes early onset Alzheimer’s disease experienced by the main character, Dr. Alice Howard, a professor of cognitive psychology at Harvard University. Alice is almost 50 years old when she begins to notice changes in her ability to remember people, places, and events that always were part of her life. She does not confide in her husband, Dr. John Howard, also a Harvard professor, until she has undergone several examinations which confirmed the diagnosis. Although John is supportive, his approach at first is denial of the severity of Alice’s symptoms. The book details Alice’s struggles as she and her family cope with the consequences of her illness.

As a result of reading this book, my mind is now working overtime. I personalize Alice’s symptoms each time I forget something, no matter how inconsequential. The frightening aspect of Alzheimer’s is that in some persons it accelerates very quickly, and in others it is a lengthy process. My aunt, my mother’s only sister, is 92 years old and resides in a facility for Alzheimer’s patients. Her disease has advanced at a rapid pace within the past seven months. Although she recognized me when I visited with her, our conversation resembled one taking place in the twilight zone. Her short term memory is almost completely gone, and she seems comfortable living in a time long ago. In several instances during our visit, I recognized my aunt’s comments were the same as Alice’s in similar situations. The sad part of all of this is that there is no cure. Now, only very expensive drugs are available which may delay the progress of the disease. I highly recommend this book to everyone. It may not be a pleasant topic, but it is a condition any one of us could experience some day.

3 comments:

  1. I'll have to remember this one for book club.
    Another good book to read is Sarah's Key, I think you and dad would like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are book club discussion questions and the author's commentaries at the end of the story. I got the book from the Marion library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started listening to this book on CD this week - glad to know it is good!!

    ReplyDelete