Thursday, December 10, 2009

How COLD is it???

A friend from Rockford (IL) used a charming expression, "colder than a well-digger's a**," to describe the winter weather there. I am not familiar with any well-diggers or their posteriors, but I do know it was cold this morning in Southern Illinois. The temperature was 15.9 degrees at 5:57 a.m. when I got up to get ready for work. I eagerly anticipated getting out early to take full advantage of the coldest day this season. No wind, no ice, no snow, no blizzard - I'm not complaining.

2 comments:

  1. Below 4 feet the average ground temperature is pretty steady at 50-55 degrees year round.....excluding permafrost areas where it's frozen. So, if this is true, and the said well digger was actually underground digging a well and died, he would only be 50 degrees after his body quit producing heat. So....colder than a well diggers ass is a pretty broad statement and can apply to fairly moderate temperatures.......

    ReplyDelete