Saturday, December 26, 2009

Thoughts on the Day after Christmas

Yesterday, the news reported a suspected terrorist on an airplane that landed in Detroit. We are involved in wars in remote parts of the world. Unemployment is skyrocketing, and our politicians could be characters in Dumb and Dumber. In the total scope of the world’s serious problems, I find it interesting that many people are more concerned about what is the proper greeting to use to extend good wishes at this time of year. I’m a traditionalist. I don’t understand the current popularity of Happy Holidays and Season’s Greetings. Happy Holidays could refer to any holiday: Valentine’s Day, Casimir Pulaski’s Birthday, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc. Season’s Greetings would be appropriate for the start of a football, basketball, or baseball season or even the summer/winter solstice. These generic sayings probably originated to avoid offending anyone who did not celebrate Christmas. If I had Jewish, Muslim, or African American friends, I would have no problem wishing them Happy Hanukkah, Happy Ramadan, or Happy Kwanzaa, and they could respond by wishing me Merry Christmas. I would even wish Happy Festivus (for the rest of us) to those who observe that December 23rd holiday. I suppose I am not politically correct, but I feel this entire “holiday” issue has turned into true nonsense.

1 comment:

  1. After viewing the pictures posted with your blog I think I'll go with the metal pole that celebrates Festivus.

    ReplyDelete